Ranking: UF top university in state for value, 30th nationally

UF is continuing to provide the most bang for students’ bucks.

Money Magazine released its second-annual “Best Colleges” list Tuesday, with UF ranked No. 1 in Florida. 

UF, the only school in the state of Florida that ranked in the top 100, was also No. 8 among public colleges and No. 30 overall.

According to its website, Money ranked the top 736 schools that provide the best value for tuition dollars on 21 factors separated into three equally weighted categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni earnings provided by Payscale.com.

“We do well in rankings like this consistently now,” said UF spokesman Steve Orlando, “and I think it’s because we’re just getting out that UF offers a great return on investment for tuition dollars.”

Ashley Mohr, a 22-year-old UF education senior, said she’s not surprised by these figures.

Mohr said she thinks it’s going to continue to be harder for high school students to get into UF.

“We’re gonna raise our standards to continue to be the best and be the best value so it’s gonna mean higher SAT scores,” she said, “and I hope to God they keep the prices down.”

Remy Hanewinckel, a 20-year-old mechanical engineering junior, said rankings shouldn’t be the main focus for a school.

“I think it’s always good to try to strive to get better and try to increase in rankings,” he said, “but I don’t think it’s that important to do because I feel like we’re already at a pretty good place.”

Orlando said there have been steady improvements in areas such as graduation rates and preeminence funding over the past five to 10 years, which is helping UF increase in rankings.

“I think all of those things put together is just creating a better and better picture of UF that’s gaining more national recognition now,” Orlando said.