<p>A driver attempts to drive around the barrier blocking Buckman Drive on Sept. 19. University Police frequently pulls over drivers crossing these barriers.</p>

A driver attempts to drive around the barrier blocking Buckman Drive on Sept. 19. University Police frequently pulls over drivers crossing these barriers.

A shortcut through Gale Lemerand Drive might save a few minutes from rush hour traffic.

But it could cost $50 and a hold on ISIS.

From 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, cars, scooters and motorcycles are barred from entrances on Stadium Road, Buckman Drive, Newell Drive and Union Road.

Buses, emergency, state, service, disabled and authorized vehicles, however, are the exception.

Lt. William Gainey, who has worked for University Police for 14 years, said the barriers have been around for decades.

But he remembered that up until five years ago, motor scooters were allowed.

Then, an accident with a Pepsi truck seriously injured a student on her scooter.

If a student is pulled over for the first time, he or she could receive a written warning, Gainey said.

After a second time, a student can get a $50 citation that, like a campus parking ticket, goes on his or her student record.

It does not, however, accrue points to his or her driver’s license, according to an email from Ron Fuller, assistant director of UF Transportation and Parking Services.

The penalty for breaching the barriers is ultimately at the officer’s discretion, Gainey said.

An officer can also choose to issue an official state of Florida moving citation, worth $154 and three points on your state driving record.

About 170 tickets were given between Fall 2012 and Summer 2013 for driving through the campus barriers.

But these tickets made up less than 1 percent of a total 54,738 tickets issued.

While 45 tickets were appealed, just six were dismissed.

Most students who are pulled over allege that they’re dropping a friend off or going to the infirmary, which is tucked inside the boundary on Fletcher Drive, Gainey said.

If students enter the barrier near Gale Lemerand Drive and Stadium Road to go to the infirmary, police will allow them to go through.

If students are trying to go through any other way, they are redirected.

UF criminology junior Billy Burchfield has been pulled over by police for driving behind the barriers twice — once on a scooter and once in a car.

He was driving through the barriers to get to Dauer Hall and Flint Hall, although he did not receive a ticket either time.

Burchfield said police lecture him about the rules.

“They’re not benefiting anyone, and they’re inconveniencing a lot of us,” the 20-year-old said. “I can’t even think of why they’re there.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/24/2013 under the headline "Street barriers mean business — and tickets"