UF will honor Hispanic heritage with a two-time Grammy nominee and a Top Soundtrack song-of-the-year artist.

Dominican-American music group Fulanito and rapper Fat Joe will perform at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 6:30 p.m. today. The concert is hosted by Student Government Productions and Hispanic Heritage Month.

This year’s concert theme is "Paving Our Visions, Creando un Futuro," said Victoria Alsina, HHM’s carnival assistant director. The 19-year-old said it will focus on paving a positive future for the Hispanic-Latinx community.

"It is important for us to draw on our backgrounds in order to create a future for ourselves that we will be proud of and the Hispanic community in America would be proud of," the advertising sophomore said.

She said she thinks students will enjoy the performances. Fat Joe has memorable hits like "Lean Back," she said, and Fulanito’s songs are great to dance to.

UF family, youth and community sciences senior Molly Dubrasky said she has never been to a cultural event but is enthusiastic to go.

"The more support the Hispanic/Latinx community gets from everyone, the more they are able to visualize a positive future," the 22-year-old said. "And you know what? Support doesn’t cost a thing."

• Fat Joe is a Latino rapper raised in the Bronx. He learned about rap music through his older brother. His real name is Joe Cartagena.
  • Fulanito is a Dominican-American musical group that has sold more than 5 million albums. Its style combines traditional merengue (a lively Caribbean-Dominican style) with house, hip-hop and bachata.