Student Health Care Center at Shands Hospital to close for renovations

The Student Health Care Center at UF Health Shands Hospital is closing next month for renovations.

The satellite clinic, a smaller version of the primary care services offered on campus, will be undergoing renovations to match the modernizations of Shands Hospital, said Catherine Seemann, the communications coordinator for the center. The renovations will cost about $70,000.

The center will have new cabinets, floors, updated lighting and painted walls to create a consistent look in the office, she said. The facility’s structure will remain the same.

“At some point, it becomes necessary to make these aesthetic changes to provide better public perception for the quality of care that we’re providing,” she said. “We hope that this will make students feel more welcome and that the care that they’re getting is top quality.”

The health care center at the infirmary on campus will still be open for students. Staff members who currently work at the Shands location will work at the infirmary while the renovations happen, Seemann said.

“We’ve planned to do this for a long time,” she said.

Dmitriy Nikitin, a UF pre-health biology sophomore, said he thinks renovating to update the look of the center isn’t necessary, but he understands it’s important for a medical facility.

“I suppose that it could provide comfort for those in the health care clinic, making them feel more at ease,” the 19-year-old said. “It shows that they’re putting money into the system and that they care.”