Wendy’s to return to Reitz Union food court, replace Burger King

This Fall, students will be trading in their Burger King shakes for Frosties as Wendy’s returns to the Reitz Union.

Jill Rodriguez, marketing program manager for Gator Dining Services, wrote in an email Wendy’s will soon be back.

“We had the opportunity to bring back a very popular dining option to UF’s campus,” she said. “We are very excited to welcome back Wendy’s.”

Current Burger King employees will continue working with Gator Dining after the change.

Due to declining sales, Cheeburger Cheeburger Express replaced the Wendy’s in the Reitz Union in 2009. Burger King opened in 2011.

Kyle Kennedy, a 19-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering junior, said he frequents Wendy’s off campus, and he is looking forward to having a Wendy’s on campus.

“Wendy’s has a few more options,” he said.

Wendy’s was named after the daughter of Wendy’s founder Dave Thomas. His daughter, Melinda “Wendy” Morse, is a UF alumna.

Mackenzie Hagen, a 20-year-old UF food and resource economics junior, has never gone to the Reitz Union Burger King. Hagen said she would rather go to Wendy’s than Burger King because of Wendy’s healthier food choices.

“Wendy’s just advertises that they are healthier for you, and I agree,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/21/2014 under the headline "Wendy’s to return to Reitz Union food court, replace Burger King"