UF students celebrate 50 years of physician assistant education

UF School of Physician Assistant Studies will celebrate 50 years of the field this week.

Today, the school’s Class of 2017 will kick off P.A. week, which honors physician assistants and their contribution to health care. The week coincides with National P.A. Day today, along with the birthday of the profession’s founder, Eugene A. Stead Jr. The celebration will end Monday.

On Thursday night, there will be a reception and discussion panel called "The Evolution of the Physician Assistant Profession, 1965-2015." The talk will be held in the recently opened George T. Harrell, M.D., Medical Education Building and feature a panel of practicing P.A.s, said Ashley Giddings, president of UF P.A. Studies Class of 2017.

About 120 faculty, P.A.s, students and community members are expected to attend, the UF P.A. Studies first-year graduate student said. Both medical and P.A. students are invited.

"It’s a way to bridge past, present and future physician assistants," Giddings, 24, said.

UF P.A. Studies first-year graduate student Lindsey Culbreth said the panel offers students a great chance to network with practicing P.A.s.

"To be able to sit down and eat with them and talk to them, it’s a really great opportunity," the 22-year-old said.

The P.A. Studies Class of 2017 officers and faculty planned the week’s activities, which include spirit days and a team competition based on participation, Giddings said.

Today, she and her classmates will celebrate the founder’s birthday with cake.