Capital Cities, Fitz and the Tantrums to come to Phillips Center in November

Indie pop artists Capital Cities and Fitz and the Tantrums will perform at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.

It’s sponsored by Student Government Productions. Nicole Berrio, vice chairwoman of public relations for SGP, said tickets will be free for students and distributed at the Phillips Center box office at noon Nov. 7. Two tickets can be issued per student with a UFID.

“We thought that it would be a great idea to bring these two bands, not only for exposure for our campus,” said the 21-year-old public relations senior, “but also for our students to get a new and different kind of music.”

SGP chairman Daniel Levin said SGP is paying $40,000 for the show. Levin, a 21-year-old industrial and systems engineering senior, said there will also be a fee for renting the Phillips Center, but SGP has not received a final quote.

Special guest Beat Club will join the main acts, Berrio said.

Tickets can be purchased by the general public on the day of the show, if available.

“They’re both up-and-coming indie rock bands that are very energetic and upbeat,” Berrio said. “It should be a really, really fun show.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/9/2013 under the headline "SGP to bring Capital Cities to UF"