University Police will soon pay students to keep a protective eye on their peers for the Walk Safe Student Escort Program.

UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber said the department is looking to hire part-time positions. 

“Students who wish to participate as employees and members of the Walk Safe program are invited to fill out an application,” he said. “Background investigations will be conducted on those selected.” 

The program will function seven days a week between the hours of 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. Student employees, male and female, will be paid $8.50 an hour. 

The Walk Safe program has changed from a volunteer program to a paid employment position because of the need for further safety on campus, Barber said.

He said part-time employees will be hired until the walks are sufficiently staffed to fill the program’s requirements.

“This is part of a transition,” he said. “It was decided that (the program) was a permanent solution to this recognized need.” 

Tyler Turner, a UF business management freshman, said he’s volunteered for the program as a way to get involved in school activities. 

“It was already doing very well as a volunteer program,” Turner, 18, said. “By paying students, they’re going to get even more people willing to step in.” 

Turner has had friends use the program at night but said most people are reluctant to use it. 

“I think students believe that they’re burdening people if they ask to be walked somewhere,” he said. “But we tell them every time that that is what we’re here for.”

Turner said he is looking to apply for a position with the program as long as it does not conflict with his classes.

Students can pick up an application for the program from the UPD Community Services Division between Monday and Friday.