Exhibit shows students importance of agriculture

Students walking by the Hub today can learn about where the clothes on their backs and the food on their plates came from.

From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., visitors can walk through Monsanto's America's Farmers Mobile Experience, an exhibit explaining today's farming practices and technology.

The exhibit is free and takes about 10 minutes to walk through.

Charlotte Emerson, director of student development and recruitment for the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, said UF didn't pay anything to bring Monsanto's exhibit to campus.

The exhibit opened Monday and attracted about 400 people within the first five hours, said Kera Rolando, a spokeswoman for Monsanto, a company that promotes, develops and educates people about sustainable farming practices.

"It's very important whenever we come to a college setting that students know how important agriculture is," she said.

Today's agriculture struggles to meet the demands of a growing human population, which is predicted to reach 9.6 billion by 2050, she said.

Microbiology sophomore Anjali Shrestha, 19, said she learned about sustainable farming at the exhibit.

"A lot of people on campus don't realize where their food comes from or the importance of what farmers do," she said. "They just go to the grocery store and buy something cheap but don't realize the work that was put into it."