UF nursing professor serving on national nursing panel

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-f6546b44-6419-629b-7d6f-e92f2e002e11"><span>Versie Johnson-Mallard</span></span></p>

Versie Johnson-Mallard

A UF nursing professor has been exploring women’s health on a national level since January.

Versie Johnson-Mallard, the College of Nursing family, community and health systems science department chair, is currently serving as a co-chair for the American Academy of Nursing’s Women’s Health Expert Panel.

The panel explores new research in women’s health, like reproductive issues, according to the organization’s website.

Johnson-Mallard, who is also an associate professor in the college, was notified she got the position in November after being nominated. She was named co-chair for the panel, one of the highest awards someone in nursing can receive, she said.

“It’s an honor,” she said. “It’s a privilege to work on the behalf of the women of our nation.”

To earn a position on the panel, individuals must be nominated by the current chair, she said. Then, the rest of the panel votes to con rm the position. Johnson-Mallard will serve alongside Diana Taylor, lead co-chair of the panel, and about 30 other members who will work on the mission of the American Academy of Nursing, which is to transform health policy and practice through nursing knowledge, she said.

Johnson-Mallard has been a mentor to Cassandre Jean-Antoine, a UF nursing doctoral student, since Jean-Antoine came to the program two years ago.

“I know that women’s health is one of her passions,” Jean-Antoine said. “As a professor and as a mentor and as a re- searcher, she still finds time for the cause of women’s health.”

She said Johnson-Mallard is knowledgeable and a good resource. Johnson-Mallard taught her how to network in the eld of nursing. She added that she feels fortunate to have her as an adviser.

“She has the knowledge; she has the experience,” Jean-Antoine said. “She has the skill set in order to contribute to this panel.”

This will be the first leadership role she will hold in any organization, Johnson-Mallard said.

“Nursing is at the forefront to the care of our nation,” she said. “We’ve been recognized year after year as the most trusted profession.”

Versie Johnson-Mallard