UF professor discovers new planets through astronomy research over 6 years

Jian Ge has explored the universe searching for other planets in the solar system since 2006.

In six years, the UF astronomy professor said he discovered 51 new planets, 38 brown dwarfs and 285 binary star systems, which are two stars that share the same orbit.

He conducted his research in New Mexico with a machine he built called MARVELS, which stands for Multi-object APO Radial Velocity Exoplanet Large Area Survey.

Ge said he specifically wanted to study the formation of giant planets.

“We try to understand the giant planets’ formation and evolution,” he said.

Ge said he plans to lead another project in the future to gather a larger sample. He said he will hopefully be able to scan several hundred stars with improving technology, as opposed to the 60 he has been limited to studying during each exploration. 

He said his team needs to improve its data processing for future observations.

“In order to find these giant planets, you need a big sample,” Ge said.

Natalie Foster, a UF astrophysics senior, said it’s vital to continue exploring and studying the universe for other planets.

“It’s important,” said Foster, 21, “because we’re trying to find out where other life in the universe is.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/14/2015 under the headline “UF professor discovers new planets"]