Students will soon have to pay for ADHD testing at UF.

Starting in the Fall semester, the Counseling and Wellness Center will charge students to diagnose attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which used to be a free service.

The new four-step process will take seven hours and will cost $175 per student.

“The testing process takes a long time, and it’s a lot of work,” said Dr. Lori Schwanhausser, a postdoctoral associate at the center. “We don’t want to use your time unless there’s a high likelihood ADHD is really what’s going on.”

The tests will be more comprehensive and accurate. More time and resources will be spent on each student to properly diagnose the condition.

Students will go through two 90-minute screening sessions, one of which costs $25.

The third step is a three-hour, $150 evaluation including an IQ test, a personality test, an achievement test and a specific test for ADHD.

Students will then receive feedback from counselors and learn about their options and available services.

Private practices charge up to $2,000 for similar tests, Schwanhausser said.

The center will set aside one-fourth of available testing slots for students who can’t afford the tests, said Dr. Clark Slagle, a clinical assistant professor at the center. Students must provide documentation of financial difficulties for aid.