New RUB art committee to host first event on Monday

The new Reitz Union Board Entertainment Arts Committee will host its first event Monday.

The UF Then & Now gallery will show photographs of UF from the mid-20th century with modern backdrops. The event, which will be held at 8 p.m. in Orange & Brew, is free for students.

The photographer, 45-year-old Pam Marlin, works as a graduate program assistant in UF’s physics department. She got the idea from a project that featured World War II photographs in front of their present-day scenes.

Twenty of her UF photographs will be at Monday’s gallery, which she will be attending. Her favorite features an old-fashioned car full of children on a dirt path in front of Smathers Library. Now, the sidewalk is paved and has a lush landscape.

“We always live in the present but don’t think about the past,” Marlin said. “That was the goal: to remember.”

RUB has never done a gallery show like this because they’ve never had an arts committee, said RUB adviser Dianna Lampitt. The organization added it to broaden student input within the Reitz Union.

“We cover pretty much everything besides the art faction,” Lampitt said. “We wanted the students to have a better voice in the union.”

Digital arts and sciences junior Jordan Fine, one of the committee’s directors, has been on the Special Events Committee since his freshman year. Fine, 20, primarily focused on graphic design, so when he heard that RUB was adding an arts committee, he applied to be a director.

The team, which currently consists of Fine and co-director Fabiola Lara, will manage the art gallery on the second floor of the Reitz Union. They’ll also have space in the Rion Ballroom and Orange & Brew to hold shows throughout the semester, Fine said.

There will be a graphic design team within the arts committee that will serve the entire organization. Applicants interested in the graphic design team will have to submit a portfolio with their application, Fine said.

RUB is also taking applications for their other four committees — bands, lectures and comedians, films and special events — until Sept. 14.

Fine said he’s optimistic about the gallery show and is glad RUB now has a committee targeted more for his interests.

He’s hoping UF alumni will come to Monday’s event, too. The Then & Now pictures link current and former Gators.

“We kind of like to encourage art in the community,” Fine said.