Congressman Ted Yoho and wife uninjured during train crash in Virginia

<p>Ted Yoho</p>

Ted Yoho

Congressman Ted Yoho, who represents Alachua County, was among several Republican Congress members aboard an Amtrak train that crashed Wednesday morning in Virginia, resulting in at least one death and no reported injuries, according to CNN.

Yoho and his wife Carolyn Yoho are both uninjured, according to a tweet from the congressman. The GOP Congress members, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, were bound for an annual retreat in West Virginia when the train hit a truck at about 11:20 a.m., CNN reported. A person in the truck died.

Yoho said the train was traveling at a “modest pace” when passengers heard a loud thud, and the train came to a stop.

The stop resulted in “just bumps and bruises” to some passengers, but everyone is fine, Yoho said.

“We are having a great day compared to other folks,” he said, speaking of the one truck occupant who died. “We feel very fortunate.”

Congress members rushed off the train after the crash, and those with medical experience helped people in the truck, Yoho said.

The retreat will continue as scheduled. Yoho, his wife and other Congress members rode the train to Charlottesville, Virginia, to board busses for West Virginia, said Brian Kaveney, the communications director in Yoho’s office. Yoho said the busses will drive for about two hours to reach the conference’s venue.

The planning conference the group is attending is “critical” for him and his wife, he said. Both will attend meetings and trainings. The crash caused a 1 1/2-hour delay for the group.

“It’s not all lost,” Yoho said. “I think we will accomplish our goal.”

Ted Yoho