University Police arrested a UF student during Saturday’s football game after police said he tried to escape arrest after trying to stop police from taking his friend to Emergency Medical Services.

At about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Austin S. Anderson, 22, propped his friend against a pillar under Gate 13 of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, according to a police report.

An officer talked with Anderson’s friend until he smelled alcohol and tried to bring him to EMS. Anderson tried to grab his friend and said his friend would not be taken by the officer, who then pushed Anderson and told him to back up, according to the report.

The officer detained Anderson after a second attempt to rescue his friend, but he soon escaped from the booking room. Three officers eventually captured Anderson and brought him back. He was extremely drunk and refused to give police his name, according to the report.

Anderson is listed as a student in the UF directory and could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Police arrested Anderson for resisting an officer and took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Sunday afternoon on his own recognizance.

Anderson was the only person UPD arrested during the game. UPD also ejected 25 people, including 10 students.

Six ejections were the result of disorderly conduct followed by five for intoxication, five for ticket switching, three for alcohol possession, three for sitting in the wrong section, two for smoking and one for not having a ticket.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella