Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested two men early Saturday morning in connection with a sexual battery that occurred hours earlier.

Police charged Garrett Robert Statler, 23, with the reported attack.

Authorities also charged Jonathan Richard Tait, 29, for obstructing justice after they said he prevented the woman from calling police.

Both are listed in UF’s student directory.

Tait met the woman Friday night at The Rowdy Reptile bar. They left at about 10:30 p.m. and walked to College Park apartments, according to a police report.

After briefly leaving the apartment to buy condoms, Tait and the woman returned to have what is described as consensual sex, according to the report.

Tait then left the room, at which point Statler walked inside and began to have sex with the woman, who lied on her stomach, unaware the man was not Tait, according to the report. The woman then turned around and screamed that Statler had raped her, according to the report.

She then chased Statler and scratched his face, according to the report. Tait then knocked a phone from the woman’s hand when she threatened to call police, according to the report. Statler was arrested on a charge of sexual battery and taken to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $250,000 bond.

Tait was arrested on a charge of obstructing justice and taken to the jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

@martindvassolo 

mvassolo@alligator.org