Gainesville Police arrested a local man Friday afternoon for reportedly punching another driver because he was cut off in traffic.

Just before 2:30 p.m., Angel Aracena, 21, was driving on Southwest 34th Street when he became angry with another driver, according to a police report. When the two drivers stopped at a traffic light in the 2000 block, Aracena left his car and approached the driver’s side of the other car.

The two drivers argued before Aracena reached inside the car and punched the other driver in the head. That driver had a cut on the side of his nose and a cut on his right eyebrow, according to the report. The driver’s glasses were also bent.

Aracena went back into his car and drove away before police stopped and arrested him at 3000 SW 35th Place, according to the report.

After his arrest, Aracena told police he was angry the other driver had cut him off, according to the report. 

He told police he reached inside the car and pushed the other driver but did not punch him.

Aracena declined to comment on the incident.

Aracena’s license had been suspended last May for failure to pay citations.

Police arrested him on charges of burglary of occupied conveyance, simple battery and knowingly driving with a suspended or revoked license. 

Officers took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released on his own recognizance Saturday just after 11:30 a.m.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 3/23/2015 under the headline “Police: Gainesville man arrested over road rage]