<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-07da5250-a92c-9541-1f46-d2d1205e6c94"><span>Dwight Nathaniel J. Hubbert</span></span></p>

Dwight Nathaniel J. Hubbert

As he led police on a mile-long chase Thursday, a Gainesville man waved a newspaper out of his car window and nearly hit someone with his car, Gainesville Police said.

At about 12:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, a GPD officer turned on his emergency lights to stop Dwight Nathaniel J. Hubbert, 29, who was driving between lanes in the 2200 block of Southwest 13th Street, according to a police report.

But instead of stopping, Hubbert held out a newspaper from his car window and kept driving, according to the report. It is not known what publication he prefers.

Hubbert then stuck his head out of the window and looked back at the officer before driving into the northern parking lot of 2700 SW 13th St., the building where the Gainesville Sun and the Alligator are printed, according to the report.

After driving around the parking lot, Hubbert led the officer back onto Southwest 13th Street and drove north for two blocks before turning around and returning to the newspapers’ building.

As he drove around the building’s lot, Hubbart nearly hit an employee, according to the report.

He eventually stopped his car on the north side of the building, later telling police he was scared to stop because he had a scale in the car, according to the report. Police found cocaine residue on the scale.

Hubbert was arrested on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and fleeing a police officer, according to the report. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released on his own recognizance Thursday and could not be reached for comment.

Dwight Nathaniel J. Hubbert