Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police charged a local man Sunday afternoon with possession of two pounds of hemp near Krishna House.

At about 2:54 p.m., Brandon King Campbell, 35, was found asleep in his car about 400 feet from the house of worship, according to a police report. Hare Krishna followers serve vegan lunches on UF’s campus every day.

Police found the car parked at the intersection of Northwest 14th Drive and Northwest Third Avenue, according to the report. It was parked within 1,000 feet of the United Church of Gainesville.

While members of Alachua County Fire Rescue Services checked to make sure Campbell was conscious, police searched his car, according to the report. After finding a small amount of hemp in his passenger seat, police found 823.6 grams — or 1.8 pounds — of the substance in the backseat.

Hemp is a strain of marijuana sometimes used for industrial purposes.

Campbell told police the hemp belonged to him and another person, whom he refused to name, according to the report. He said he bought the hemp for personal use and that it was cheaper to buy in bulk, according to the report.

Police charged him with possessing marijuana with the intent to sell within 1,000 feet of a church and possessing drug paraphernalia.

Authorities took Campbell to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $40,000 bond.