A Gainesville teenager was arrested Monday for shooting a 15-year-old in the face, Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies said.

At about 8 p.m. Sunday night, Austin Gregory Dow, 17, sat in a black Honda sedan when he shot the boy, leaving a nonfatal gunshot wound on his face and several bullet holes in his van, said sheriff’s office spokesman Art Forgey.

Alachua County Fire Rescue workers treated the boy and took him to UF Health Shands Hospital, where he remains in stable condition, Forgey said.

Deputies with the ACSO Patrol Operations Division and detectives with the Criminal Investigations Division were able to later identify Dow and get a warrant for his arrest, according to a press release issued Monday by the sheriff’s office.

Shortly before 6 a.m. Monday, members of the ACSO SWAT team arrested Dow at his home in the Valwood Subdivision near Haile Plantation, according to the release.

Detectives are currently working on figuring out why Dow shot the boy, Forgey said. He said there was some sort of disturbance between the two.

Deputies arrested Dow on three counts of attempted second-degree murder, according to the release. Dow was taken to the Alachua Regional Juvenile Detention Center, and a judge will decide Tuesday whether he will be tried as a minor or as an adult.

Dow is currently being held on a $450,000 bond.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.