Gainesville Police is looking for a man suspected of stealing another man’s iPad on West University Avenue on Tuesday afternoon.

A UF Alert sent out to students, staff and faculty at about 4 p.m. reported the following incident:

At about 3:15 p.m., the victim met a man at 1423 W. University Ave. to buy the victim’s iPad. It is not confirmed if the victim is a UF student, GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said.

During the exchange, the man said he didn’t have his wallet and fled with the victim’s iPad.

The suspect is described as a tall, black male in his 20s with a medium build. He was wearing a black shirt, red pants and athletic shoes.

The victim did not say in which direction the man ran. Helicopters on daily patrols at the time assisted in the search.

University Police offers various services to students to protect their possessions. Students can register their bikes and other valuables through the department. For computer safety, students can install Front Door Software, which allows users to remotely lock their laptops.

Gainesville Police advises anyone with information to call the department at 352-955-1818 or text keyword GPDFL with a tip to 274637. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 4/9/2014 under the headline "Near-campus iPad theft prompts UF Alert, helicopter search"]