Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a UF senior Sunday after they said he shattered a window and caused about $1,400 in damage at a Midtown bar.

At about 2 a.m., Rafael Isaac Roman, 21, punched a window at Fat Daddy’s, located at 1702 W. University Ave., according to a police report.

Bar

Rafael Isaac Roman

After the punch, shards of glass fell into the bar, breaking 27 bottles of alcohol on display, according to the report. The total damage to the window and the alcohol bottles was $1,402.50.

When police arrived, Roman repeatedly told them he broke the window and would pay for it, according to the report. The side window, which faces Northwest 17th Street, was boarded up with wood after the incident.

Roman later resisted arrest as police attempted to put him into the back seat of a patrol car, according to the report. He argued with officers and had to be told several times to put his legs in the car so police could close the door.

Two officers had to use physical force to get Roman inside, according to the report.

Steve Orlando, a UF spokesman, said in an email that Roman is currently a UF sociology senior.

Police arrested him on charges of criminal mischief and resisting an officer without violence. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Sunday on his own recognizance.

Roman declined to comment on the arrest.

costroff@alligator.org

@ceostroff