Gainesville Police arrested a man early Thursday after he reportedly tried to use a counterfeit bill and had a crack pipe.

Shortly before 1 a.m., Detron Howell, 28, walked into the Downtown Convenience Store, located at 40 SW Second St., and asked the clerk for change for a $50 bill, according to a police report. When the clerk realized the bill was fake and asked about it, Howell left the store and left the bill behind. Police arrested him moments later near the store, according to the report.

When police searched him, they found a glass crack pipe in his pants pocket, according to the report. After his arrest, he told police he owned the crack pipe, but said he didn’t know the $50 bill was fake.

Police arrested Howell on charges of using counterfeit money and possession of drug paraphernalia. Officers took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remained as of press time in lieu of a $12,000 bond.

***

Gainesville Police arrested a man early Thursday after he reportedly tried to use a counterfeit bill at a nightclub.

Just before 1 a.m., Robert Barnett, 27, walked into Class Nightclub, located at 109 S. Main St., and used a $50 bill to buy hookah, according to a police report.

An employee accepted the money and gave Barnett $35 in change. The employee then handed the bill off to another employee who realized it was fake.

Barnett then tried to use six more $50 bills to buy a bottle of alcohol, according to the report.

Police arrested him at 200 SE Second Ave. shortly after. All of the bills had the same serial number, but none of them had a water mark or security thread.

Police arrested Barnett on a charge of using counterfeit money. Officers took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released just before 4 p.m. Thursday after paying a $3,000 bond.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 2/27/2015 under the headline “2 charged with counterfeit”]