Generic Crime
Generic Crime

University Police arrested a UF student early Thursday after he reportedly drove on campus under the influence of alcohol.

About 2 a.m. Thursday, Narcis Hamzagic, 20, sat with his car’s engine and lights running in a parking lot west of Murphree Hall, according to a police report.

An officer on foot patrol noticed Hamzagic’s bloodshot eyes and an open 24-pack of Bud Light in the back seat, according to the report.

The officer asked Hamzagic to perform field sobriety exercises and arrested him after he did not perform well.

"There have been numerous incidents recently in that stretch of University Avenue, so the officers are doing increased patrols — having a presence there, especially around 2 a.m. with bar-closing times," UPD Sgt. Jeffrey Lamb said.

The officer also reported a strong smell of alcohol radiating from the car and that Hamzagic refused to take a breath test.

"When you get a driver’s license in the state of Florida, you’re basically agreeing to provide breath, blood or urine samples," Lamb said.

Lamb said students arrested on campus are generally referred to Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution in the Dean of Students Office.

Hamzagic is listed as a student in the online UF directory.

As of press time, Hamzagic could not be reached for comment.

In 2014, Hamzagic received two infractions for careless driving and one infraction for a speed violation, according to Alachua County court records.

Police arrested Hamzagic on charges of DUI and possession of alcohol by a minor.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Thursday afternoon on his own recognizance.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella