Tuesday, March 19, 2024

After a UF football player and another Gainesville man intervened on a sexual assault near Midtown on Thursday, detectives are now searching for information about whether the man has assaulted other women.

At about 2:20 a.m. Thursday, Christopher L. Shaw, 34, led a woman behind a dumpster and raped her, according to a police report.

That’s when UF football player and 101 Cantina employee Cristian Garcia and Gainesville resident Leroyea Simmons decided the woman was too drunk to have given consent, according to the report.

After they forced Shaw off the woman, they realized she had trouble walking, speaking and keeping her eyes open, according to the report. Authorities later watched videos of the attack and decided there was no way she could have given Shaw consent.

Police charged Shaw with sexual assault and took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $500,000 bond.

Gainesville Police recently announced Shaw may have raped other women, and it encouraged residents to contact Cpl. Amanda Prince at 352-393-7618 with any information.

Residents can also submit anonymous reports by visiting reportrapegainesville.org or texting “GPDFL” and the information to 274637.