Gainesville Police arrested a man at Grace Marketplace Wednesday after officers said he yanked a pole out of the ground and swung it at a woman. 

Just before 5 p.m., Brian James Doyle, 28, began arguing with the woman because he said she owed him money, according to a police report. 

“I’m going to kick your a**,” he said to the woman. “I’m going to cut you.” 

Doyle then walked away and pulled a 4-foot-long pole out of the ground, according to the report. He walked toward the woman and continued to threaten her as he swung the pole around. 

An officer heard the argument and ordered Doyle to drop the pole, at which point he did. The officer then had to force Doyle to the ground after he ignored police commands, according to the report. 

Officers arrested Doyle on charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer without violence. As of press time, he remained at the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $4,000 bond. 

***

A local man was arrested Wednesday night after police said he threatened another man with a knife near the entrance of Grace Marketplace. 

At about 11:15 p.m., Robert James Thomas, 36, started arguing with a man — whom he told officers he had a previous argument with — before pulling out an 8-inch butcher knife, according to a police report. 

“I’m going to kill you since you didn’t go to jail,” Thomas said to the man before pointing the blade at him. 

The man backed away and called 911 before Thomas returned to his tent, according to the report.

Officers found and arrested Thomas on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. As of press time, he remained at the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bond.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 1/16/2015 under the headline “Two arrested at Grace Marketplace for threats with pole, knife"]