Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a local man Tuesday morning after he reportedly called about a fake robbery in hopes of getting a new door.

At about 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, Joshua C. Whitaker, 29, reportedly called police about someone who shattered his girlfriend’s sliding glass door at 7 a.m., according to a police report.

He said the person supposedly entered the apartment, smashed his girlfriend’s cellphone and snatched money, according to the report.

Whitaker told police they heard glass shatter and then voices inside the apartment, according to the report.

Police interviewed Whitaker’s girlfriend, who reportedly confirmed the story — at first.

She then said the story was created to get a new door, which they broke the night before after being locked out, according to the report.

Police reported both Whitaker and his girlfriend fabricated the story, but she was never arrested, according to Alachua County court records.

Whitaker later told police he was being stupid and didn’t wish to say more, according to the report.

This is the second false report in two days after police arrested 29-year-old Joshua Porter on Tuesday for reportedly calling about two men armed with a rifle who stole his PlayStation, which police later found in his trunk.

Whitaker declined to comment.

Police charged Whitaker with making a false report and took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Wednesday morning on his own recognizance.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @gsabella