Police roundup: robbery; kicking a girl, 6; traffic delays

A Gainesville man was arrested after police say he tried to rob a UF Health employee on his way to work early Wednesday morning.

James Brence Roberts Jr., 25, approached the victim at about 2 a.m. as he was walking across the street to work, according to a report. 

“Give me all your s***,” Roberts said to the victim while in the crosswalk. 

The victim said he feared for his safety and backed away from Roberts running north toward UF Health. As he ran, Roberts tried to hit the victim with his backpack and fist. 

After telling Roberts he was going to call the police, the victim said Roberts threw down his bag and started to unzip it. 

The victim ran toward a UF Health security guard and said someone was trying to rob him. 

UF Health notified the University Police, who detained Roberts until Gainesville Police arrived. 

Roberts was arrested for attempted robbery. His bond in Alachua County Jail is set at $50,000

A Gainesville man was arrested on kidnapping and battery charges after police say he kicked a 6-year-old girl and forced her friend inside his house. 

Donald Mobley, 61, got upset with two girls, ages 6 and 8, who were playing on the steps in front of his apartment at 1725 NE Eighth Ave. shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday. As the 6-year-old ran by, Mobley kicked her in the leg, according to a report. 

Shortly after, Mobley invited the 8-year-old into his apartment to play the drums. She declined, and he became angry. 

Mobley grabbed the 8-year-old by the arm, pulled her inside his apartment and blocked the door. 

An 8-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl saw what was happening and pounded on Mobley’s door, trying to force entry.

After pushing the door open, the children yelled for the victim to escape and she did.

None of the children were injured. 

Mobley was convicted of molesting a child in 2001. 

His bond is set at $105,000 in Alachua County Jail. 

An accident on Interstate 75 northbound near the 39th Avenue exit caused traffic delays at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to Gainesville Smart Traffic’s Twitter. 

The accident, which involved a semi-trailer, backed traffic up to Newberry Road. All northbound lanes were blocked.

I-75 northbound on-ramps were also closed at 39th Avenue and Newberry Road, causing major traffic delays. 

Northbound lanes were reopened shortly before 8 a.m. 

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/18/2014 under the headline "Police roundup: robbery; kicking a girl, 6; traffic delays"]