Tuesday, March 19, 2024
James Ward McCauley

James Ward McCauley

Deputies arrested a Newberry man Friday after finding about 100 minors at a house party hosted by his daughter, officials said.

At about 10:30 p.m., Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies arrested James Ward McCauley, 52, after finding a large house party at his home in the 4000 block of NW 155 Terrace, according to the report. Dozens of attendees under the ages of 18 and 21 were at the home, with many appearing to be drunk and drinking alcoholic beverages.

McCauley told officers his daughter said to not interfere with her party, so he went into his room at about 9 p.m. and put in earplugs, according to the report. After deputies went through his home, they found several minors hiding and one passed out. Elsewhere, they noticed several different types of beer, vodka and dark liquor.

While standing outside, one minor became sick from the alcohol and threw up on McCauley’s lawn, according to the report.

Police arrested McCauley on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of minors. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released on his own recognizance Saturday. As of press time, he could not be reached for comment.