The former guitarist of a Gainesville band is scheduled to appear in court July 7 for charges of sexual assault against a minor.

Gainesville Police arrested 30-year-old Dennis Young, a past member of Former Planets, on May 19. He was released the same night on a $190,000 bond.

On Nov. 30, police recorded a statement from the survivor, who told a detective that Young assaulted her when she was about 6 or 7, according to the report. Young traveled to Tennessee when he heard about the girl’s statement.

Young first showed the girl a pornographic video on his phone, according to the report. He then talked about sex and rubbed the girl’s vagina over her clothing.

He now faces charges for sexual assault and obscene communication, along with two charges for lewd and lascivious behavior, according to Alachua County court records.

A current member of Former Planet, who wished to remain anonymous, said he was surprised to hear about the accusations against Young, who seemed kind and creative.

“He called and said his ex-girlfriend was making these claims,” he said. “They had been together for many years.”

The man said Young last played with Former Planets on Oct. 16, and nobody has seen or heard from him since.

“I would say that we need to wait until all of the information is out there,” he said.