A Gainesville man was arrested after police say he threatened to hire an assassin to kill two deputies.

At about 11 p.m. Sunday, Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies arrested 31-year-old Tjamal Evoris Peterson on charges of crimes against a public servant, according to an ASO arrest report.

While the deputy was driving Peterson to jail after arresting him for an outstanding warrant for violation of probation, Peterson told the deputy he could hire someone to have a person killed for $2,500.

He went on to threaten the deputy, saying the deputy would be off duty at some point, but he himself would be on guard all the time. He advised the deputy to “be ready.”

Peterson also made threats to pay another $2,500 to kill another deputy who had arrested him in the past.

Once they got to the jail, Peterson told jail staff he was going to pay $5,000 to kill the deputies and said he felt like God, according to the report.

The deputy arrested Peterson again then booked him into the jail just before midnight, where he remained as of press time in lieu of a $105,000 bond.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 11/12/2013 under the headline "Man arrested for threatening to hire hit man"