Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a Gainesville man early Sunday morning after police said he lied about being kidnapped.

At about 1:40 a.m., Craig Walker, 44, texted his mother and said he was being held for ransom, according to the police report.

The messages said Walker would be killed if a certain amount of money was not put in his mother’s mailbox, according to the report.

Detectives later found Walker, who told police two white men kidnapped him and took him from Gainesville to Lake City, Florida, where his arms were tied and a bag was placed over his head, according to the police report.

Walker also told detectives the men had used his phone to contact his mother and demand money, according to the report.

He later told a detective he was never taken, nor were his arms tied, according to the report. Walker reportedly told authorities he sent the text messages in hopes of getting money and paying a drug-related debt.

Deputies arrested Walker on charges of extortion and making a false report. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $30,000 bond.