Gainesville Police charged a woman with assault Monday after they said she bit someone at The Oaks Mall and hit the person with a calendar.

At about 3:30 p.m., Trayniecea Denise Ann Blackett, 20, saw a woman who once dated her significant other at the Newberry mall, according to a police report.

Blackett told police she had approached the woman — who was with her children at the time — to discuss “relationship issues” before the conversation turned to violence, according to the report. When Blackett came near, the woman lifted her arm, which Blackett took as a threat.

Blackett then hit the woman with a large calendar and bit her, the woman said in an interview Tuesday. The calendar scratched her eye, and the bite forced her to get a tetanus shot, she said.

The woman, who asked not to be named, said she wasn’t sure why Blackett used the calendar as a weapon.

“I guess it was the nearest thing in her hand,” she said.

According to Alachua County court records, Monday’s incident was Blackett’s first run-in with police.

Police arrested her on a misdemeanor charge of simple battery and took her to the Alachua County Jail, where she was released on her own recognizance at about noon Tuesday.