Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Three Gainesville men and one Archer man were arrested late Sunday night after police said they tried breaking into a woman’s car outside her home.

A witness observed the four men outside the car at about 10:13 p.m. near 608 Queens Road and confronted them, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report. After the witness asked the four men what they were doing, they ran away and were later caught and arrested by police just before midnight.

The four men — Quintel Shamon Austin, 18, of Gainesville; Keonte Arthur Larry, 18, of Gainesville; Demarquez Sevontae Parhm, 20, of Gainesville; and Daytaveya Lamar Brown, 19, of Archer —  all remain in the Alachua County Jail, as of press time, and face third-degree felony charges.

Police said the men used two black socks, in place of gloves, to cover their fingerprints during the burglary, according to the report.

The attempted car burglary took place less than two miles from where a July 21 shooting in Reflections Apartments killed a Gainesville resident, and less than three miles from where police shot a 16-year-old male armed with a rifle replica at Majestic Oaks Apartments in March 2016, according to Alligator archives.

So far this year, police have handled at least 268 car burglaries, ACSO spokesperson Art Forgey wrote in an email.

Last year, there were 311 in the same time frame.

Typically, car burglaries come in spurts in the same general area, Forgey said, and police advise residents to keep their car as safe as possible overnight.

“Lock it or lose it,” he said. “Keep valuables out of sight in your vehicles or remove them, and always lock the doors.”

Austin and Brown each faces a charge of burglary into an unoccupied vehicle and are being held on a $15,000 bond; Larry is faces an additional charge of obstructing justice and is being held on an $80,000 bond; and Parhm faces an additional charge of marijuana possession and is being held on a $20,000 bond.

The owner of the car could not be immediately be reached for comment.