Darian Denard Holmes

Darian Denard Holmes

A Gainesville man woke up three people with a pan of hot oil Friday morning, Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

Darian Denard Holmes, 48, heated a pan of cooking oil on a stove in a Holly Heights North apartment and poured it on three people sleeping in the living room, according to an arrest report. Less than 24 hours later, he returned to the apartment and called police to tell his side of the story, Lt. Josh Crews said. He was arrested shortly after.

A woman, who was pretending to be asleep in the living room, witnessed Holmes pour the oil on a man’s chest and shoulder; on another man’s foot, leg and back and on a woman’s neck and face, according to the report. She told police Holmes was upset and believed one of the three people he burned had stolen his money.

The three people Holmes burned knew him as “Rock” and said they were all together the night before, according to the report. Police said he had gotten upset with them throughout the evening but did not say how or why.

Crews said the woman and men injured were treated at UF Health Shands Hospital for their burns, which were not considered life-threatening, and released.

Holmes was arrested on three counts of aggravated battery and for failing to pay child support. He was taken to the Alachua County Jail where he is being held without bond.

Contact Robert Lewis at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert

Robert Lewis, a UF journalism sophomore, covers the crime beat for the Alligator. He enjoys spending time with family and friends in his hometown of Miami, Florida. Robert has not let his dream of being funny die, though several friends have urged him to.