<p>Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law on Monday, Jan. 28, 2019 that will make post-secondary education more available to students. A goal of the bill is to increase the percentage of people in the Florida workforce with post-secondary education from 49 to 60 percent by 2030. The bill also has a Last Mile program to financially assist students who dropped out of college within 12 credits of their degree.&nbsp;</p>

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law on Monday, Jan. 28, 2019 that will make post-secondary education more available to students. A goal of the bill is to increase the percentage of people in the Florida workforce with post-secondary education from 49 to 60 percent by 2030. The bill also has a Last Mile program to financially assist students who dropped out of college within 12 credits of their degree. 

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis says he wants to overhaul the state's school standards in the next year.

DeSantis on Thursday announced that he wants to remove all "vestiges" of Common Core that remain in the existing standards.

The standards are important because school children take high-stakes tests that are linked to them.

DeSantis issued an executive order directing Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran to hold public hearings and develop new standards by January 2020.

Florida was one of the states that relied on Common Core, which was part of an initiative launched by top education officials and governors across the nation. But opponents decried them as a nationalization of education policy and standards.

In 2014, state legislators tweaked the standards and renamed them but many of the underlying standards remained the same.