Gainesville Target is now offering a ‘Drive Up’ app service

The Gainesville Target supermarket store is now making it easier to avoid binge shopping.

On Monday, the Target at 3970 SW Archer Rd became one of nearly 270 stores in the South and Southeast to offer “Drive Up,” which allows customers to order what they want on the Target app and have their items brought to their car.

Orders take about an hour to complete, and customers can wait in the store’s designated “Drive Up” parking spaces for an employee to bring out their order in minutes, according to to a news release.

Target piloted “Drive Up” in the Minneapolis area last fall and plans to expand the service to 1,000 stores by the end of 2018, according to the release.

Stephanie Campbell, the Archer Road Target front-end manager, said the store has received three orders since it began offering the service on Monday. The orders have been made by moms in a hurry picking up a few items, and feedback has been positive, she said.

There are four “Drive Up” parking spaces in the Archer location’s parking lot, she said.

When Diana Brown walked into Target on Wednesday morning to buy Keurig coffee pods, she ended up leaving with cat litter, clothing hangers, wine, coffee and a birthday gift for her friend.

Brown said the Target app would be useful when she needs to pick up essentials but doesn’t want to be tempted by the dollar-bin section.

“Target is addicting,” the 26-year-old UF veterinary graduate student said. “I enjoy my experience, but I spend way too much.”

After looking at the extra items in her cart, she said she might as well get coffee from the store’s Starbucks.

“Yep, the app would help me spend way less money,” she said, with a laugh.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa