<p>Thomas Peter Maletta</p>

Thomas Peter Maletta

A UF student was arrested and charged Monday for sexual battery of a female friend of about four years after a fraternity function on Oct. 17, Gainesville Police said.

Thomas Peter Maletta, 19, was arrested and charged after police said he raped a woman he’d known since high school after taking her to a club and his fraternity’s date function, according to an arrest report. The rape happened in the woman’s apartment while her three roommates were awake, police said.

Before leaving for the date, the woman told her roommates that Maletta was just her friend and she didn’t want to have sex with him, according to the report. She had a glass of wine at the apartment and a mixed alcoholic drink, which Maletta held at one point, at the fraternity, police said.

The pair went to a club before coming back to the woman’s apartment at about 2 a.m., police said. The woman’s roommates told police they remembered her being drunk but not Maletta, according to the report.

Once inside her room, Maletta grabbed her neck, forced her to perform oral, vaginal and anal sex, according to the report.

The woman’s roommates, who were awake, heard thumping noises from the living room and began to worry for her because she was drunk, according to the report. When one of them intervened, she knew the woman was too drunk to consent and eventually kicked Maletta out, she said to an officer, according to the report.

In a call set up by police, Maletta told the woman he was sorry and admitted what he did was wrong, according to the report.

After his arrest, he told police that he did have oral and vaginal sex with her, according to the report. He apologized and said he didn’t realize he had done anything wrong before that call.

He was arrested on a charge of sexual battery and taken to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Tuesday afternoon on a $10,000 bond.

He could not be reached for comment.

Clarification: The story has been updated to clarify that Maletta was arrested on charges of sexual battery Monday.

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Lewis__Robert.

Thomas Peter Maletta