While Pamplona has an annual running of the bulls, Gainesville has a yearly gallop for Gators.

Gator Gallop, a two-mile run, will be held as a part of Homecoming festivities today.

The gallop, which will precede the Homecoming parade, will begin at Percy Beard Track and finish on University Avenue.

The event starts at 11:30 a.m. for runners and walkers, according to the Homecoming 2008 Web site.

Gators fans are permitted to run, walk or roll, following part of the parade.

Pets can partake in the gallop, too.

"I think sometimes people are discouraged from participating because they think everyone is supposed to run, which is not true," said Katie Youst, Homecoming 2008 assistant director of public relations and UF senior.

Hundreds of students, faculty, families and children are expected to participate. Some runners are partaking in the event for fun and others for exercise.

"It's a great chance to meet new people and to have a fun time with your friends," UF freshman Rueben Hill said.

Proceeds of the run will go to the University Athletic Association Track & Field program and Florida Blue Key, according to the GatorZone Web site. Awards will be given to the male and female overall winners of the race, Youst said.

"I was at the finish line two years ago when my best friend finished her run and was crying with pride," Youst said. "It was such an inspirational moment."

Participants can begin signing up today as early as 9:15 a.m. The registration fee is $15 and will only be accepted in cash, according to the Homecoming 2008 Web site.

"Gator fans of all ages are invited to Gator Gallop. It is a fantastic opportunity for the greater Gainesville community to come together," said Ryan McCarthy, Gator Gallop director.