LGBTQ student loan borrowers disproportionately affected by loan debt

A recent survey found that LGBTQ student loan borrowers in the U.S. are disproportionately affected by student loan debt and 60 percent regret taking out loans.

The survey by Student Loan Hero, a company that gives loan advice, polled 11,184 U.S. adults. Most were between the ages of 26 and 33 years old and identified as white females.

Job discrimination, homelessness, denial of financial services and lack of family support cause financial strain to the LGBTQ community, according to Student Loan Hero.

The results showed that 53 percent of LGBTQ borrowers make less than $50,000 a year, said Miranda Marquit, senior writer at Student Loan Hero. That figure is 43 percent for the general population.

Yet, LGBTQ borrowers reported about $16,000 more in student loan debt than the general population.

Marquit said the company decided to create the survey after finding there was no data on how student loans affect the LGBTQ community.

“If people who have natural advantages in our society are struggling with student loan debt, we wanted to take a step back and ask how has it affected other communities who don’t have the same advantages,” Marquit said.

Myles Lopez, a UF women’s studies sophomore and ambassador for LGBTQ Affairs at UF, said the debt problem is part of an oppressive system.

“Activism is a huge thing,” Lopez said. “But ultimately it’s the responsibility of the institution and people who actually have power over this to make a change.”