Alachua County Animal Services pauses adoptions

Alachua County Animal Services announced Wednesday that it has halted canine adoptions and will quarantine its dogs for 10 days.

The announcement came after the shelter found Streptococcus zooepidemicus, or strep zoo, and canine pneumovirus among six dogs, according to a press release.

“Strep zoo has the potential to infect people and cats,” Cynda Crawford, a professor in UF’s shelter medicine program, wrote in an email. “So precautions must be taken such as washing hands and keeping the dogs away from cats until the bacteria are eliminated by the antibiotic.”

Supervisor Jane Grantman said she hasn’t had a similar situation. All dogs are currently on antibiotics, she said, and the shelter will reassess their health after 10 days.

Drop-offs, especially of dogs that are sick or injured, will be housed in a separate part of the shelter, she said. Cats are handled by different employees and can still be adopted.

Grantman said the shelter will provide crates, collars and leashes to anyone who waits until the quarantine is over before dropping off his or her pet.

“If they are able to hold their dog on property during this temporary closure period, we’d be grateful,” she said.