A UF student was arrested in Sumter County on Sunday as part of a sting operation in that area to catch sexual predators.

Syed Alam, a 24-year-old industrial engineering senior, was one of 22 people from all over the state arrested during the operation, which ran from March 16 to March 20.

Alam was contacted through one of various messages posted on the Internet soliciting sex with minors, according to Sumter County Sherrif’s Office spokesman Lt. Bobby Caruthers.

After responding to the posts, Alam made contact with police through text messages, Internet chats and emails to schedule a meeting, during which time those arrested were informed that the supposed partner was a minor, Caruthers said.

Those who followed through with the plans and arrived at the agreed location were met by police and arrested on the spot.

Alam was arrested on seven charges, the most of any of the 22. The charges include the use of Internet to solicit or entice a parent or guardian of a child for sex, traveling to meet a minor, unlawful use of a two-way communication device, resisting arrest without violence, possession of paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

Alam’s bond was set at $56,500. He was released Wednesday afternoon.