GainesvilleShows.com app, site tracks concerts

A new website has taken center stage to spread the word about bands coming to local venues.

The mobile and desktop versions of gainesvilleshows.com went live Tuesday for fans to access an in-depth list of upcoming shows as well as profiles for bands and venues.

The setup was passed along from the former gainesvillebands.com, which went offline last year.

“It had been around for years, and when it went down in 2013, I felt frustrated that there wasn’t that readily available list online anymore,” wrote PJ Fancher, web developer at Digital Brands, the company that facilitated the website, in an email.

Fancher developed a program that compiles upcoming show information and finds data from the surrounding areas to create new profiles for bands and venues.

One of the venues listed on the site is Lightnin’ Salvage, the store attached to Satchel’s Pizza.

Night manager Danny Lore said the site will do more than benefit showgoers.

“The venues will gain by having our schedules available and the bands can promote their shows easily,” Lore said.

Hannah Neville, a UF English sophomore, said the site is needed in a city with so many low-profile shows.

“For as much good music as there is in Gainesville, there needs to be more advertisement,” the 19-year-old said, “and it would be really nice for it to all be in one place instead of just random fliers.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/6/2014 under the headline "Local app, site tracks concerts"]