Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Bernie supporters protest Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s GNV visit

Protest.jpg
Protest.jpg

As U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz spoke to a group of prospective Hillary Clinton volunteers Friday night, a group of Bernie Sanders supporters protested her presence, with one interrupting her speech.

Inside the Gainesville Police station, the former chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee spoke about the importance of the presidential election and trained Clinton supporters to canvass for the candidate.

Outside, a group of about 15 protesters argued Wasserman Schultz shouldn’t have bothered.

Their signs read “Democracy is Dead” and “Arrest Debbie,” while another simply said “Emails.”

The protest, organized by the Gainesville Wants Bernie Sanders Facebook page, was about a trove of leaked DNC emails that appeared to show that Wasserman Schultz and other staff members plotted to undermine Sanders’ primary run.

“I do not trust her,” said Miguel Valdez, a UF alumnus who acted as a District 5 Sanders delegate during the primaries. “I feel like her presence here is unwelcome.”

He said the released emails, discovered by WikiLeaks, implied Wasserman Schultz used her position in the DNC to help Clinton. That revelation, which led to her resignation, caused many Sanders supporters to feel disenfranchised, he said.

Inside the station, toward the end of Wasserman Schultz’s speech, one protester began yelling about volunteering for Sanders, although the Vermont senator has endorsed Clinton.

“Good for you,” Wasserman Schultz quickly retorted.

As the man continued to shout, she spoke over him until the crowd drowned out the man with bellowing chants of “Hillary.”

Megan Kincaid, a Santa Fe College biology sophomore, said she was excited to hear Wasserman Schultz speak and begin canvassing for Clinton.

The 20-year-old said she was impressed with how Wasserman Schultz handled the Sanders’ supporter’s interruption and with how supportive the room was.

“She shut him down,” she said.