Sixteen-person bike now features rooftop solar panel

The lights and speakers on Florida Fun Bikes’ 16-person bike will now be powered by a small rooftop solar panel.

Sprightful Solar, a company founded in 2015 by UF alumnus Pablo Corredor, recently installed the panel, according to a press release.

As a UF student, Corredor wanted to have solar powered tables installed near the Hub, allowing other students to charge their phones and laptops.

He researched solar power by buying his first solar panel and battery from Amazon.

“It’s very satisfying once you plug it in and turn on the system,” Corredor said. “Energy starts flowing and people get these huge smiles on their faces.”

Gainesville resident Derrick Robinson and his fiancee, Amber Shelton, said they opened Florida Fun Bikes in February after they rode similar attractions in other cities.

“We wanted to bring a fun attraction to Gainesville,” Shelton said. “We want to make an effort to help revitalize downtown and make it a hangout spot. We thought this would be the perfect vehicle for that.”

The company takes customers on pub crawls throughout the city or on hunts for Pokemon, according to its website.

“We want to give people something they can enjoy without hurting the environment,” Shelton said.