Gainesville mayor arrested for DUI

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>A sign is knocked over near Northeast 21st Street and Northeast 156th Avenue after Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe crashed his car into it early Thursday morning.</p>

A sign is knocked over near Northeast 21st Street and Northeast 156th Avenue after Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe crashed his car into it early Thursday morning.

Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe was arrested on DUI charges about 12 miles outside the city early Thursday.

The Florida Highway Patrol arrested Lowe, 55, near Northeast 21st Street and Northeast 156th Avenue at 5:26 a.m., according to a FHP arrest report.

At about 2:20 a.m., Lowe lost control of his 2005 Honda Civic while driving south on Northeast 21st Street, according to an FHP news release. He hit a Florida Department of Transportation sign as well as a ditch and came to a stop on the side of the road.

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded first to the crash. When FHP trooper Javon Murphy arrived, he reported Lowe’s breath smelled like alcohol, his eyes were bloodshot and he had trouble keeping his balance.

Murphy also reported Lowe’s car was damaged in the front and had four flat tires.

Lowe told Murphy he crashed because he fell asleep while driving. Lowe also admitted to drinking three beers earlier in the night, according to the report. He added his last drink was at about 10 p.m. Wednesday.

Lowe “performed poorly” during a field sobriety test, according to the report, and he was arrested for DUI just before 5 a.m. Troopers later booked him into the Alachua County Jail.

At the jail, Lowe took a breath test. His blood alcohol content levels were .061 and .069. Murphy concluded Lowe’s BAC was above .08 at the time of the crash, according to the report.

Lowe was released from jail at about 4:15 p.m. Thursday on his own recognizance.

Later that evening, Lowe issued a statement: “I apologize for the harm that this situation has caused to my friends, supporters, and the citizens of Gainesville,” he said. “I feel that it’s important to set the record straight. In the coming days, additional facts will come to light and I believe that I will [be] found not guilty in this case.”

Lowe also will work toward strengthening the community’s trust in him, saying, “I look forward to getting back to work for the people of Gainesville.”

Lowe served as a city commissioner from 2003 to 2010. In 2010, he won by a 42-vote margin in a runoff.

Lowe is running for re-election against Ed Braddy in the April 16 runoff election.

In response to the arrest, Braddy, 41, said Thursday afternoon that he encourages “people to give Mayor Lowe his space so that he can deal with this matter as he sees fit.”

“We should be grateful that no one was injured,” he said.

During his term as a city commissioner from 2002 to 2008, Braddy was arrested on a DUI-damage to person/property in January 2006. His BAC levels were reported to be .181 and .184, according to the arrest report.

At Thursday’s City Commission meeting, commissioner Susan Bottcher expressed sensitivity toward the situation.

“Until we get a little more information, my thoughts and prayers are with the mayor,” she said.

In the days leading up to April 16, Braddy said voters will make up their own minds about the incident.

“The test of leadership is how you respond to adversity and problems, even if it’s self-inflicted,” he said. “I think people will be looking to see how [Lowe] responds.”

Alligator Staff Writers Chris Alcantara and Kelcee Griffis contributed to this report.