Colorful life of Lilly Pulitzer remembered

Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau, the famed fashion icon who used a juice stand uniform to start her Floridian fashion empire in the early 1960s, died Sunday in West Palm Beach. She was 81.

Pulitzer’s line includes dresses, shoes and jewelry. Her line is popular among college women, especially at UF.

Gracie Carryl, an 18-year-old UF family, youth and community sciences freshman, remembers meeting Pulitzer in 2004 with her family.

She said she will remember Pulitzer for her kindness and generosity.

“She was such a genuine person,” Carryl said. “It’s sad to see such a legend go, but she probably lived one of the best lives of anyone.”

Susan Hines, owner of The Colorful Gator, 13005 SW First Road in Newberry, which offers Pulitzer’s line, said she was sad to hear of the icon’s passing but knows the company will keep her spirit alive.

“The one thing we love about Lilly is the slogan, ‘Lead a colorful life,’” Hines said. “Bright colors make people happy, and we love that she was a pioneer.”

Lauren Gonzalez, a 22-year-old UF journalism senior and former sales associate and social media manager at The Colorful Gator, said Pulitzer’s legacy is more than a clothing label.

“I think it’s gotten a reputation for being childlike, colorful and very Palm Beach, but I think there’s a lot more to it than that,” she said. “It’s about expressing yourself and a love for life and not taking yourself too seriously.”

Pulitzer’s transition from a couple of juice-stained dresses to a self-titled clothing line inspired Gonzalez to pursue a career in fashion.

“I think she’s a great role model for women and any designer who wants to be an entrepreneur and start a business,” she said.