In the wake of the holiday season and the onset of Spring semester, the Alachua County Health Department urges Gainesville residents to take action to ward off the flu.

“The most effective precautions we can use to fight illness are getting vaccinated before flu season and practicing good hygiene regimes,” said Anthony Dennis, environmental health director for the Alachua County Health Department, in a statement.

While the flu and the common cold share the same category as respiratory tract infections, the flu tends to be more severe, according to a health department press release.

The department recommends preventative measures such as washing hands with soap and water, avoiding touching the face, covering mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing, limiting exposure to sick people and getting the flu shot each year.

To get vaccinated, Gainesville residents can attend one of the department’s flu clinics at 224 SE 24th St. on Jan. 15 and Jan. 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

UF students with a Gator 1 Card can receive free flu shots at the Student Health Care Center, located at 280 Fletcher Drive.