Gainesville gas prices decrease as part of national trend

Drivers looking to fill their gas tanks in Gainesville will being seeing lower prices for the foreseeable future.

Gas prices have dropped nationwide by a few cents each week during September, with national prices going under $3, according to data provided by the U.S. Energy Information Administration. It’s the result of crude oil prices falling and increased production, said Ted Kury, the director of energy studies at the Public Utility Research Center in the UF Warrington College of Business.

"The primary input for gasoline is crude oil, and crude oil prices have fallen rapidly since the summer of 2014," Kury wrote in an email. "We produce, in this country ... more oil than we did just five years ago. More supply, all else equal, means lower prices."

"In addition, on the consumer side, we use less gasoline in this country than we did 5 years ago, so demand is less," he said. "Put them both together and you have lower gas prices."

Kury said it is likely prices will go back up before summer, unless something changes in the international oil market.

The average price of gasoline in Gainesville is currently $2.19, according to the GasBuddy website.

"I drive from here to St. Augustine frequently and like to ride my scooter whenever I can, so lower gas prices allows me to do these things without so much worry of how I will be able to afford it," said Savannah Nuttall, 18, a UF health education and behavior freshman.

However, some people feel they aren’t affected much by the dropping prices.

"I’m going to pay for gas regardless if it’s high or low because I need my car to run," said Steven Younts, the manager of AutoZone on Northwest 13th Street.

"(Gas prices are) going to keep going from up and down like it has for the last 40 years," Younts said. "People need to fix their car, so they come in (to AutoZone) regardless of whether gas prices are low or high."

2010 - $2.78

2011 - $3.66

2012- $3.94

2013 - $3.62

2014 - $3.49

2015 - $2.43