Alachua County announces support for same-sex marriage

Alachua County became the first county in North Florida to publicly support marriage equality this week.

The County Commission signed an amicus curiae brief Tuesday denouncing the state same-sex marriage ban, joining cities like Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Tallahassee.

The brief acts as a friend-of-the-court statement, filed independently of parties involved in the litigation process.

The court can then decide whether to refer to the brief Alachua signed, which outlines the legal, financial and psychological harm its signees believe the state ban inflicts on same-sex couples.

The brief also cites a study that suggests being an LGBT-friendly workplace increases the productivity of LGBT employees and also improves their professional relationships — a positive effect for state employers, the brief implies.

The City of Gainesville signed onto the brief in October, according to an Equality Florida news release.

“The Alachua County Commission stood up and did the right thing,” said Terry Fleming, co-president of the Pride Community Center of North Central Florida.

Fleming said he hopes the county’s position will persuade judges to recognize the rights of same-sex couples and believes more cities and counties will soon follow in Alachua’s footsteps.

“It’s important that folks stand up and take a position on marriage equality,” he said.